Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Orange is the New Black!

We've had a fun-filled June. Matthew turned 6 yesterday - and it was a perfect day! I'm loving the ages of my kids now. They are so much fun. Obviously there are challenges but I really enjoy spending time with them. 
Kids playing in the sand
The first week of June we went camping at Alum Creek. I love camping here because of the camper beach. The kids played from 10am - 5:30pm with only a break for lunch. Erik and I set up our camp chairs and read. Erik even took a 2 hour nap! It was amazing!

They love the zoo
 This summer I haven't scheduled as many camps as I did last year. Last year I felt like I was running all over the place and it wasn't relaxing. This summer we have gone to the zoo, the park, the library, the pool all on our own time and it's been relaxing. Just the way I like it!

The second week of June we went camping in Cincinnati. We got to see our friends Randy and Julie from college. We haven't seen them in years and it was good to catch up with them. We also went to the Cincinnati Children's museum. This was SO fun! The kids loved it. There were several different museums combined but the kids liked the natural history cave part the best.
Outside the Cincinnati Museum center - our kids and Mast kids

Being silly at the museum

Matthew acting as a veterinarian

Sarah and Maddie being silly at the museum
 I signed up all three kids for a one day robot academy camp. They each won medals (everyone does!) and had a great time. The kids are so creative. Jenna made a robot that would tell you if your outfit doesn't match (it would beep for every outfit Sarah wears). Sarah and Matthew worked together on a straw that would prevent brain freeze because it would spin. What great inventions!
Jenna

Sarah

Matthew
 Matthew's 6th birthday was yesterday. To celebrate we went to Adventure park and played with his friends: Nicholas and Brendan, Camden, Austin, Addie and Tyson. Then we went to McDonalds - his favorite restaurant for lunch. After that we went swimming at the Delaware Y. His favorite pool! After that we had all his favorite foods for dinner. He loves the color orange so we had oranges, orange peppers, cheese quesadillas, and corn on the cob. For dessert we had orange jello and an orange cake with orange buttercream. After that he opened presents. He loved his presents although Sarah took over some of his presents, ie the legos!
Matthew's birthday celebration with my family at Bob Evans in Mansfield
 Erik loves riding bikes so for Fathers day we had the idea of riding bikes to Old Bag of Nails pub. Halfway there Erik got a flat tire so Jenna and I had to turn back and bring the car to pick up everyone else. We still went to Old Bag of Nails and got fried pickles. Yum!
Fathers day
 Even though it was 91°F yesterday for his birthday he still wanted to wear his favorite orange pants. In fact, Matthew loves his orange outfit so much and wears it so often people may think he escaped from prison!
Matthew's orange outfit on his birthday - no he is not in prison

Happy Birthday Matthew
In other news:

  1. I'm very nervous right now about my job. Most of my friends have been laid off at my company and I don't know what to do. My job is perfect right now. I have so much flexibility and freedom. It's hard to say if it's better to just ride this out or to look elsewhere. I'm just so sad for my colleagues - they are so hard working! I feel like I'm the only one left. And that's probably just because of the PhD. 
  2. This has been the summer for me reading fluff books. I'm loving it though. I finished a Hero for Wondla (the second in the Wondla series). I also finished Winter, the fourth book in the Lunar Chronicles series and the second book in the Boreal Moon trilogy by Julian May. I think I need to read something more meaty but haven't figured out what that is yet.
  3. Jenna and Sarah are taking Summer Enrichment Experience camps through our school district. Jenna is taking creative writing and Sarah is taking art. They are really enjoying the camps! It is only from 8-11am Mon-Thurs. Just enough time for me to go to the Y and bring Matthew. 
  4. I've been doing two workout classes on Thursday and Friday. I've noticed such a difference and feel like I'm in the best shape I've been in several years. Age is just a number!

No comments: