Thursday, March 23, 2017

Butterflies Everywhere!

Blackberry pie and raspberry pi
We celebrated pi day by having pizza and blackberry pie for dinner. I snapped a picture of my blackberry pie along with my raspberry pi B model because they are both pis! Although I only have the pi 2 and apparently there is onboard wifi with the pi 3. I also (in my copious spare time) want to build a retro pi gaming console. I have NO free time now. I'm a manager of 10 faculty and have to do all their reviews and answer all their questions. It's like real work! I'll get to the retro pi though - that is the fun stuff!

Erik took me on a surprise date to see Bon Jovi! Even after 20 something years I knew all the words to his songs - the oldies, not the ones from the new album. He rocked it! 

Bon Jovi
 This week is spring break for the kids. I've almost lost my mind though. On day 3 I yelled at them to get off their lazy butts and clean the house #momfail. Yes - not my best mom moment. On Tuesday we went to the Franklin Park Conservatory. At first it was just a bunch of plants and flowers and I was worried my kids wouldn't care. When we went to the butterfly exhibit they loved it!! Butterflies were flying everywhere and each kid got to hold a butterfly.
kids in the tree

Matthew next to his favorite sculpture

my favorite butterfly

Sarah with a butterfly

Jenna's butterfly

Matthew actually does have a butterfly on his finger
My Mom and Dad have saved me the rest of this spring break. They are watching the kids Thur - Sat. I'm not sure why I was more stressed this week than normally. With the kids home, making dinner for We Are cherished at church (I do this every 3 weeks), and the piles of work I have it's been crazy.

In other news:

  1. I've been reading a lot about the Nephilim lately. I became interested in the Nephilim after reading the Mortal Instruments a few years ago. Now I'm reading the Book of Enoch which is a book considered canon by the Ethiopian Christian church which I found interesting. It contains some good information.
  2. I'm also reading A Court of Mist and Fury which is the second book in this series after a Court of Thorn and Roses by Sarah Maas. Jenna can NOT read these books. They are quick, mindless reads but not suitable for a 12 year old. Although Jenna read the entire mistborn trilogy so I'm not sure there's something she shouldn't read.
  3. The Edge series by Ilona Andrews just came in from the library for me so that's another series I'll be starting soon. I finished the Clean Sweep series (there are 3 in that series) and let Jenna read them. We both really liked those books.
  4. Jenna had several Barnes and Noble gift cards and spent all of her money on 5 books. We went on Monday to buy books. She has ALREADY read all of them!
  5. Our Cooper book club is reading the Blade Itself. It is OK but I haven't gotten into it. I need to step up my game though. I can't have Joel outreading me.
  6. Every day Erik and I play Castles of Burgundy. I have won 30 games and he has won 72 which is not a great percentage. I need to step up my game in Castles of Burgundy too!

4 comments:

Joel said...

Pretty sure you never have to worry about me out-reading you. :)

DVK said...

We should through Nephilim into the convo on Thursday. Worth note is the concept drives nearly all the game play in Diablo III....

Gina Cooper said...

Really? Diablo III? I can't imagine what that has to do with Nephilim but I'd love to discuss it!

DVK said...

Every player character is a nephilim. It's how they 'justify' the powers.

http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Nephalem