Thursday, October 05, 2017

Cub Scout Campout

I snapped a few pictures of Sarah and Matthew sparring at tae kwon do. Yes Sarah is sparring in a skirt. That's my girl! The kids are doing great and really getting good at sparring. I enjoy sparring Erik. It should be required for all couples as marriage counseling.
Sarah and Matthew sparring

Another shot
 Matthew is outside ALL the time. After school every day he goes and plays in the backyard making a path through the woods that is poison ivy free. This happened after he got poison ivy twice this summer. All of the kids are doing well in school. Jenna (obviously) is doing fantastic. Sarah is doing amazing as well and Matthew is doing so much better. He got 23/25 on his last spelling test. So he is definitely catching up.
Matthew's path

Matthew working on his path
 We went to COSI and got a picture of Sarah riding the unicycle. She did a great job and wasn't scared at all even though she says she is afraid of heights.
Sarah on the unicycle
 
 Last weekend we had our first cub scout campout. I am the leader for all 22 first grade boys. This campout was for all elementary kids 1st - 5th grade. Our whole family went and we camped in our tent we haven't used in 10 years. It was SOOOO cold! 44 degrees at night. I'm trying to figure out how we can bring the camper next year. Sarah's best friend (and in fact the only person she seems to hang out with now!) is a boy named Alden. He was at the cub scout campout and they played together the whole time. Here is a pic of Sarah and Alden. They write stories together on google docs and get along really well.
Sarah and Alden
 The campout was fun. We sang songs, performed skits and our den earned our bobcat badge. This was a HUGE difference from girl scouts. We sit in a circle and do crafts at girl scouts. I couldn't get these boys to even sit still on the bench. They started jumping on the tables and acting bananas.
Tents!

Playing phase 10
In other news:

  • Joel's book is the bomb diggity. I love it!
  • I'm reading Tower of Dawn, the 6th book in the Throne of Glass series. It is good - not as good as the others
  • My craft show is Saturday. I have a ton of jam ready for it, and I hope I sell more than last year.
  • Next session I'm teaching Advanced Visual Basic (a new class), Advanced Software Engineering (another new class), and Mobile App Development (a class I developed but is a difficult one to teach). So next session will be crazy for me. Not to mention the session after that I have 2 new classes as well. Yikes!! 
  • Sarah is now playing the viola. She seems to like it - we will see as the year goes further. I remember when Jenna played the viola. The 4th grade strings concert was not a melodious sound.

No comments: