Saturday, July 18, 2009

Our Las Vegas Trip

Las Vegas was so much fun- better than I expected! We arrived on Tuesday night and spent the evening eating $20 ice cream!! from Serendipity while watching the fountains at the Bellagio.
On Wednesday, Erik spent the whole day in the room while I attended the conference. I learned quite a bit at the conference and my mind is full of new ideas! This conference was excellent! On Wednesday night we went to the Tournament of Kings at Excalibur. We ate dinner with our hands (no silverware) and saw an excellent show. We did notice that the knights were wearing chainmail made of cloth. Hmmm....not quite so authentic. Then we got Haagen Daas ice cream.
On Thursday I did my presentation. It went really well. I was one of maybe 3? women at the entire conference. Really...where are all the women geeks??? I know there's more of you out there. I was actually surprised at how well the presentation actually went. After the presentation Erik and I went to see Cirque Du Soleil Ka at the MGM Grand. This was incredible. The acrobatics were amazing and I loved watching them. It took a lot of balance to do what these athletes did.
The best part about Las Vegas was the food though. Wow! We went to the Monte Carlo buffet and the MGM Grand buffet. These weren't normal buffets. In fact, I think I gained 20 pounds just from the three days I was in Las Vegas. I've never eaten so well. While they were expensive, MGM Grand offers an all day buffet for $30 per person. So you eat all day for that price - not too bad actually.
To work off some of our new weight, Erik and I went to play squash today at lifetime. Our membership ends July 31 so we wanted to squeeze one more squash game in. When I'm feeling down because I'm losing or playing poorly, sometimes I'll sing this song in my head. I sang that song in my head prior to tests in college too (don't ask). It seemed to bolster my confidence. Which I needed in college (not in high school - that was easy).
I've included a picture of the Luxor hotel from the bottom (you can see the Transformers logo on it). I didn't like the logo on the hotel - it detracted from the sleek glass beauty. I also included a picture of the front of our hotel - the Monte Carlo. It was beautiful.
In another exciting note - Erik is reading Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson! He wanted to bring a book and I suggested this one. So while he read Mistborn, I held Thomas Covenant in my hand but read over his shoulder (because I like Mistborn more). Finally I gave up and just read his book over his shoulder :). Now we are reading it together at night - yea!!!

Sarah likes to tell me when things are hot (stove, pans, car seat, etc) by saying "hot" and blowing on them. It really is very cute so while making french toast, I had Erik take a video of her telling me that the French toast was hot and blowing on it. Check it out. That French toast was awesome by the way. I made maple bread in the bread maker and then made french toast out of it - absolute yum!!
78 points on Quiddler - really clug should be a word!


6 comments:

Tim Mast said...

At some point, you have to admit that the Thomas Covenant books just aren't for you and stop pretending to read them! Life is too short to pretend to read books that you don't like. Put them aside and find something that you like. Thomas will still be there if you ever want to try again in the future.

Gina Cooper said...

But I don't give up. You should know me by now :).

Anonymous said...

I think Jenna was trying to explain those sandals to me over the phone. I got some sort of description involving pink, sparkles, and flowers. I was sold!

Hope you learned some good tricks on defending your dissertation at Excalibur. I would rather learn tricks on defending my dessertation :-)

~Missy

Anonymous said...

BTW - "You're the Best" is my song! I also use "No Easy Way Out" from Rocky IV.

~Missy

Gina Cooper said...

You sing "You're the best" too!! I didn't know anyone else was that corny! Of course the "dissertation" "dessertation" joke should have filled me in.

Anonymous said...

I know that you liked the MGM and Monte Carlo buffets, but those are not the best buffets in Vegas. They are good, but are not the best. Dad and I like Wynns, I have heard that the Rio is good.
Nana