Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Jenna's experiment

Jenna had to do an experiment for school with a variable. She chose to grow crystals (since she loves rocks and crystals!) at different temperatures. She used a mixture of borax and water and then poured it in canning jars. Her variable was temperature so she put one jar in the refrigerator, one in an ice bath, one at room temperature, and one by the fire. After 5 hours we weighed the crystals and found the refrigerator and ice bath grew the largest crystals. She was very excited about her project and created a fantastic powerpoint. Jenna will present her project on Friday. While Jenna was creating her powerpoint, Sarah also wanted to create a powerpoint and spent hours on powerpoint. She then decided she wants to be a computer programmer.
Jenna's results

Growing crystals by the fireplace
This weekend was Girl Scout weekend for me. Friday Jenna had a girl scout meeting and we created scarfs with finger knitting. She likes finger knitting and is so creative. It is similar to her rainbow loom which she also enjoys working on. On Saturday I went to Girl Scout camp training from 9am-6pm. We learned about all about camping, cooking over a fire, building a fire, tying knots, the flag ceremony, chopping wood, and activities to do with the girls outdoors. It was a blast! I'm so excited to take Jenna's troop camping. This is real camping too, we have a water jug with a clothes pin in it to wash our hands. No fancy camper for us! Sarah's troop went on a scavenger hunt hike on Sunday and had a great time. While the Girl Scouts may get some bad press, our troops are a lot of fun and I think they are learning some good skills. 

Sarah's Daisy troop
My close friend and neighbor, Candi is moving to Indiana. She is the person I can borrow paprika from or who can watch my kids in a pinch. Her son Austin gets along really well with Matthew. In fact, if you ask Matthew who his friends are, the first person he will say is Austin. We will really miss them. My close friends in the neighborhood were Lynn and Candi. My two best friends from our church just left too. Lots of people are leaving. This needs to stop!

I'm back to teaching now too. I have three live lectures this semester as well. So I'll be busy at night. The live lectures start at 8:30pm or 9pm though so I still have plenty of time with my family. I wouldn't change it! Last session I worked on course design and development rather than teaching and I loved that too. I may even start working on mobile development so we can design some courses on mobile apps. That will be awesome!

Sarah has started reading Magic Tree House books. She loves them. Jenna loved Little House on the Prairie at this stage and maybe Sarah will be interested in the Little House books as well but she loves Jack and Annie from the Magic Tree House. I left my Blinding Knife book by Brent Weeks on the couch and Jenna started reading that. I have to be careful or she will read whatever she can get her hands on!

51 points on Quiddler today

No comments: