Wednesday, June 03, 2015

Cakes and Fish

June has snuck up on us. The kids finished school the Thursday before Memorial Day and that weekend they went to my parents house for a few days. We worked on the new house. Having a rental has been a learning experience for us.    We closed on the house Wed. May 20, put the house up on zillow as a rental that evening, and had over 100 people call and email us. 

Seriously. 

It was craziness for a week. The phone rang off the hook. Then we had a renter sign on May 27 exactly one week after we closed. It's been a whirlwind. We've done quite a bit of work to get the house in shape. Erik is amazing and has done so much to improve the house. He is so handy! This is a perfect job for him.

In other news, Jenna has joined two friends from church to make birthday cakes for kids from poor families. She will be working with Family Promise and Common Ground Free store in Delaware. It's a fantastic ministry and I'm so glad she is a part of it. They came up with the name: Peace of Cake ministry. 

Jenna and the basketball cake she made for a 7 year old boy
                                                                                                                                                   We planted our garden a few weeks ago. This year I planted an entire box of sweet potato. I'm hoping we get some sweet potatoes although Erik is not a fan. I might be eating a lot of sweet potatoes.  We also planted tomatoes, corn, zucchini, cucumber, several herbs, onions, marigolds (to keep the deer and rabbits away), watermelon, and peppers.                                                            

Our 8 gardens

The beautiful rose bush by our new house
 Matthew has been pretending he is a cat lately. A cat named Twinkles. So Sarah drew a cat nose on him and cat ears. Then she drew on herself. They have been playing so well together. They also are all three tree climbing experts. It took Matthew awhile but Sarah has taught him how to climb the tree really well!
Sarah and Matthew as cats

The cake Jenna made for a 16 year old girl
 Because Jenna is making more cakes she, Sarah, and Lauren took a cake decorating class at Joanns. They had a lot of fun and Matthew helped too. They made some beautiful cupcakes!
cake decorating at Joanns

Addie, Avery, and Jenna with Peace of Cake Ministry at church
 Over Memorial Weekend we went to a friends house where the kids did some fishing. They seemed to really like it and each caught a fish!
Jenna's catch

Matthew's catch

Sarah's catch
In other news:

  • I just finished Soulless by Gail Carriger. It is the first book in a 5 book series and Veronica lent it to me. It's a young adult book and is a fun, easy read
  • I'm reading In Legend Born by Laura Resnick. This is also a fun read and has some characters I really like.
  • Our book club is reading Warbreaker but I have already read it so I'm being lax with my reading ;). 
  • I signed up for the Ohio Outdoor Woman adventure again this year: http://watercraft.ohiodnr.gov/owoa I like to go every year. This year I picked the birdwatching session but Erik said that was lame. I'll let you know how my birdwatching goes. 

No comments: