Sunday, January 25, 2009

Iron Chef Smoked Gouda

Today I competed (against myself!) in iron chef Smoked Gouda. As usual I was given an hour to make several dishes all featuring smoked gouda. I made the following:
  • Gouda and pear salad. This salad had a good mix of flavors but I think it needed to be mixed better as the pieces of gouda and pear were too large.
  • Stacked gouda sandwiches. These sandwiches were the best of all the dishes I created. On a slice of a roma tomato I put a slice of bacon then a piece of chicken cooked in butter and spices with a thick slice of gouda on top. Finally I garnished it with fresh rosemary. While these sandwiches sound a little odd, the flavors blended very well and they were delicious!
  • Chicken goudathon. This is a twist on chicken parmesan. I made some breaded chicken and tortellini then made a white wine garlic sauce with gouda and freshly grated parmesan cheese. This was yummy but a little heavy. I think it would have worked better with bowtie pasta or something lighter.
  • Honey caramel gouda thins. This was my gouda dessert. I took a thin piece of pie crust and shaved thin slices of gouda on top. Then I sprinkled some unsweetened cocoa powder on them and baked them in the oven for awhile. Next I drizzled honey and caramel sauce over them and sprinkled them with more shaved gouda. Erik really liked these but I thought they were just okay.

Interestingly enough Erik and I both rated the dishes evenly with an average of 14.875. Overall it was an excellent Iron Chef competition!

I'd like to do an Iron Chef with Erik sometime. I have a secret ingredient for him in mind just waiting for when he wants to do it!

Erik's birthday is coming up and anyone who knows him knows he loves Railroad Tycoon. So I'm getting him the video game version of Railroad Tycoon and I hope he likes it.

70 points on Quiddler today!



No comments: