Monday, August 10, 2009

Fasting

After reading the Lord' prayer on Sunday I skimmed through the section on fasting. I looked up "fasting" in the Bible and saw 24 references to fasting. So what is fasting? Fasting is abstaining from something (often it is food) for a period of time. Moses fasted 40 days, Jesus fasted 40 days. Numerous others throughout history have fasted at certain times. People from Old Testament times and New Testament times fasted. One verse that is worthy of note is "They said to him, "John's disciples often fast and pray, and so do the disciples of the Pharisees, but yours go on eating and drinking." Jesus answered, "Can you make the guests of the bridegroom fast while he is with them? But the time will come when the bridegroom will be taken from them; in those days they will fast." ~Luke 5:33-34.


This sounds like we should be fasting often since Jesus was taken from us. But how many Christians fast? I know a handful of Christians who fast. Why don't we fast in 21st century America?

Is fasting as important as reading the Bible and prayer? If so, why aren't more people fasting regularly? Catholics are one of the few Christian denominations that encourage fasting during lent. What about the rest of the evangelical denominations? Too many people have called me a closet Catholic that I've given myself the label of Evangelical Catholic :). So why don't more Christians fast?

People don't want to deny themselves anything. If we look at our culture of overindulgence, we notice the desire to fulfill every need and want immediately. Jesus says "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me." ~Mattnew 16:24.

Christians are only required to believe for salvation. Jesus says "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." ~John 3:16. If we are only required to believe, then why fast? Why deny ourselves something we enjoy?

People don't want to appear prideful in their relationship with God. Jesus says "When you fast, do not look somber as the hypocrites do, for they disfigure their faces to show men they are fasting. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you fast, put oil on your head and wash your face, so that it will not be obvious to men that you are fasting, but only to your Father, who is unseen; and your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." ~Matthew 6:16-18. Some may misconstrue this verse to mean that fasting is prideful, but it is the heart God is looking at.

In my experience, I have found fasting to be a delight. I fast when I'm struggling with a specific sin, have a difficult decision to make and am seeking God's guidance, to humble myself before the Lord, or for a cause. I undertook two three day fasts last year and fasted once a week during the 40 days of prayer for the end of abortion. Since becoming a Christian, I have viewed fasting as a vital part of my walk with God. Fasting for me is a joyful experience as it reminds me that Jesus is the bread of life and all the food I need!

47 points on quiddler today. Too many u's!!

No comments: