Friday, August 21, 2009

The PBA Tour!


Jenna started her career as a professional bowler yesterday. Nicholas had his 5th birthday party at a bowling alley and Jenna and Sarah were burning up the lanes (if that's a good thing)! Check out this video of Jenna (PBA here she comes) and Sarah (sort of). As you can see it takes about 20 minutes for the ball to inch its way across the lane. They had a blast and in a few years I hope we can go bowling more often.
It brings back memories of bowling with my Dad who has a bowling average above 200 (his AVERAGE is above 200). He is an awesome bowler - my high game is 216 so obviously I didn't inherit his bowling genes. He will have to teach the girls how to bowl properly.

I snapped a picture of Sarah with the cupcake from the party too. Red frosting...yum.


On a different topic, at times I have students who ruffle my feathers a little. In my math class I have a certain student who is constantly telling me I'm wrong. For example, he was working on a solution to a quadratic equation and insisted that there was no solution. Over and over he insisted. So I came over to see what he was working on (he yells across the room when I'm helping other students). The problem was this = 30r^2-25r-5. I glanced at his equation and saw that there are solutions (-1/6 and 1). Don't even need the quadratic formula for that one. Anyway, he proceeded to tell me that I was completely wrong and this equation was unsolvable. Huh?
Next he told me that he knew a lot about computers - that he could show me so many tricks that would help me out. Okay....I have a PhD in computer science and engineering but am not arrogant enough to assume that others (especially teachers!) would have less computer knowledge than me. And the more you learn the less you realize you actually know. So he had a great "trick" for me. He said that when you switch between applications you could also use "alt-tab". WOW! Now that's a super neat trick that I've been using for the past maybe....20 years?
Of course when I realized that I started programming when I was 10 meaning that I've been working on computers for 24 years I felt old.

Summer is slipping by. That doesn't mean that we don't get the sprinkler out just about every day so Jenna can run through it. She loves it! Well off to rub the Love Handler on my belly!
56 points on Quiddler today because I couldn't make anything with the Q. At least I got clotty which was an awesome word!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amanda used to bumper bowl when you and Missy were in that bowling league. Nana