Monday, May 10, 2010

Iron Chef Erik: Key Limes

My idea of a perfect Mothers day is Iron Chef (obviously!). Jenna picked out the secret ingredient for Erik (he was iron chef). It was key limes! This was by far, Erik's best iron chef performance.

He made:
  • Lime pepper chicken with fresh citrus salad. This appetizer had a lemon, lime, and orange salad served with chicken strips coated in fresh lime peel and fresh ground pepper. The chicken was actually really good but the salad was too sour for my taste.
  • Lime linguine with citrus alfredo. This was amazing! Erik made fresh pasta and instead of using water, he used freshly squeezed lime juice. The pasta had a really good lime flavor - better than other flavored pastas. But that's not the beauty of this dish. Erik made an alfredo sauce with heavy cream, lime juice, and sugar. The combination sounds weird but WOW! This was so good we ate it the next day (I made him make it again). The citrus alfredo sauce was so unique and delicious he got an excellent score.
  • Raspberry lime milkshake with lime whipped cream and salted lime chocolate. So one would think he couldn't top that last dish. Au contraire. The salted lime chocolate was incredible. I love salty chocolate and this was amazing! It was Erik's idea but I actually made it as his sous chef. I melted chocolate chips and put in quite a bit of grated lime peel. Then I smoothed it out on a pan and put sea salt on it. Then stuck it in the freezer to cool. WOW! This was SO good. He could market it - I know salt and lime go together in some alcoholic drink (margarita maybe?) so it could be a big seller. The milkshake was delicious too with a nice raspberry lime flavor. He also made whipped cream and put lime juice in the whipped cream. This was an amazing dish!

Erik rated himself as a 16.33 and I rated him as a 17.33. This is the highest rating we've ever had in iron chef (even better than apples which was my previous best).

So it was a pretty exciting day at our house.

65 points on quiddler today. Not a good showing


2 comments:

Amanda said...

That sounds awesome!!! I bet the lime pasta would be yummy with some Mexican type dish too. Way to go Erik!!!

heather_straus said...

This is really a step up from Mac 'n' Cheese. I should send my hubby for some cooking lessons :)