Saturday, July 14, 2012

Road bikes and bright shirts

I mentioned in a previous post that Erik and I both bought road bikes. Yes - we broke down and bought them. Although it was rather easy to convince Erik since he loves biking.  Convincing him to buy two $600 road bikes has been easier than convincing him to buy a $19 salad spinner (because he obviously doesn't want it!) but hey - that's how it goes.

I still want a salad spinner.

We went to Performance Bike and bought their entry level road bikes: Scattante bikes, and we also bought clip in shoes. We've been really happy with the bikes and I'm not quite so embarrassed by my bike anymore (my hybrid bike is still awesome by the way and we use it for family bike rides). 

The clip in shoes give you greater efficiency and power since you can both push down and pull up on the pedal when biking. I've used them a few times and have fallen down (couldn't get my foot out in time) but I do like the extra power on hills especially.

Erik and I biked 16 miles on the Olentangy trail on Thursday at 12 mph. This was so much fun. The scenery was excellent and I loved the ride. Both of us had these fashionable (put your sunglasses on NOW or you might burn your eyes on Erik's shirt) shirts for our ride. The Olentangy trail is like Grand Central Station but we were able to ride just fine and didn't run into anyone (always a plus!).


Erik all decked out!

Erik has not done much swimming laps and he wasn't sure about the swimming part of our triathlon. So he tested his speed today. It took him 35 seconds to swim one length of the pool and 33 seconds to walk. It looks like he will be walking in the water for the triathlon rather than swimming. I have been diligently reading websites and watching youtube videos to improve my technique. Hopefully I can swim rather than walk in the water!

74 points on quiddler today.

I'm not giving up on that salad spinner either.

1 comment:

DVK said...

My eyes!