Monday, July 30, 2012

Giant Eagle Triathlon

Did we reach our goals in the Giant Eagle Triathlon?  Yes!!
At 3:15am we woke up to start our day. Since the triathlon is point to point, we had to leave our car downtown, and a bus shuttled us to the lake. The swimming part was at Alum Creek lake, then we rode our bikes to downtown Columbus, and ended with a 5K around downtown. It was awesome.

Swim 1/2 mile: Swimming was much better in this race. I swam the whole way! However I am definitely a slow swimmer since I swam 1/2 mile in 22 minutes and Erik walked/backfloated the whole way and swam in 24 minutes. Tricia smoked us with a time of 19 minutes on the swim.


Bike 19.2 miles. The Bike course was so much fun! Police officers were there to direct traffic so we were able to just ride. I didn't fall (and didn't wear my fancy clip-in shoes) and felt confident. I rode in 1 hours 13 minutes for an average speed of about 15.8mph. Pretty exciting for someone who started riding a road bike June 15! Although Erik smoked me with a time of 1 hour 3 minutes on the bike (and he just started riding too!). Tricia did the bike course in 1 hour 4 minutes. They were flying!
Bike course
Run 5k. The run was beautiful through downtown. I was suprised that there were actually beautiful paths in downtown Columbus by the water. My run time was 31:46. Say what? I've never done a 5K in less than 32 minutes and especially not after biking and swimming. I think I must have been excited to do this and just moved my feet. Erik said he was just walking on the course when Tricia caught up with him and made him run. He put in a time of 33:24 on the run - his fastest run time ever. Tricia ran in 32:05. If Tricia would have just let Erik walk then I might have beaten him. But no.... she had to get him to run.

The overall time for this triathlon was:
Tricia at 1:57:25
Erik at 2:03:23
Gina at 2:09:50

Erik beat me which was his goal. My goal was to finish in less than 2:15 and I did. This triathlon was great and I didn't freak out during the swim portion so it was a success. 

Erik loved doing the triathlon too and is already planning for next year. I'll have to work on beating him and Tricia next year.

1 comment:

DVK said...

I'm glad it went so well for both of you! Congrats!