Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Tar Valon

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to have 13 eight year old girls at your house for a birthday party? Yesterday Jenna had her 8th birthday party. Our house was filled with lots of talking, screaming, jumping, giggling girls. They had a blast! Sarah and Matthew had a good time too. Matthew has discovered that he likes to make messes and get into things. Yipee! Now we just have to channel that destruction into something good.
All 3 kids painting

Jenna's birthday party
 The girls drew a picture of Jenna and she chose a winner. The winner received a stuffed puppy. There were some great drawings.
Drawings of Jenna

Having fun decorating cupcakes
 We also met my parents at Der Dutchmann to celebrate Jenna's birthday. Jenna requested a coconut cake so I made my first coconut cake. It came out pretty good and not overly sweet.
Coconut cake
In other news:

  • I finished Memory of Light by Brandon Sanderson/Robert Jordan. This is the last book (14) in the Wheel of Time Series. The book was one long battle that at times became tedious while the main battle between the dark one and Rand could have had more detail. I also would have liked more point of view from other characters that I loved but in a series this complex and long, you can't spend a lot of time on every character. This is probably what's going to happen with a Song of Ice and Fire by Martin. Oh well. I still loved the book! Now what do I have to look forward to?
  • Both girls have quit gymnastics and are back in ballet at Columbus Dance Arts. Jenna is in Advanced ballet/tap and will be a marshmallow in the spring recital. Sarah is in 4/5 year old ballet/tap and will also be a marshmallow in the spring recital. Both girls have frilly white costumes. They will be adorable!
  • We have decided to move our small group from every Tuesday evening to the 1st and 3rd Tuesdays. Hopefully this schedule will work out although it looks like next semester I'll be teaching on Tuesday evening. 
  • Matthew really gets into everything. He now takes our register vents out and hides things in the vents (toys, trains, cars, cups, etc!). Yikes.
  • I registered for an indoor Triathlon on March 3. I don't know if I'll train much before then since we canceled our Lifetime gym membership. However I'll probably have to give up on swimming anyway. There was really no hope for me. I'm just not good at it.
  • 98 points on quiddler today

1 comment:

DVK said...

You know; I've never actually wondered that... Glad everyone had fun though!

I have thoughts on character quantity vs quality vs depth in long series of books. Remind me on Thursday if you want...