Sunday, August 11, 2013

Under the weather warrior

This weekend we headed to Clay's Park for a camping trip and the Warrior Dash. It was the perfect place for the event and I had a fabulous time. Just me though. Erik woke up at 4:30 am Saturday morning vomiting. Then he slept pretty much all day Saturday and Sunday. He didn't get to do the Warrior Dash with us. Poor guy. Amanda and I had a blast though.
Amanda and I post-warrior dash
 Because we camped at the park, we just walked to the race. It wasn't actually a race (especially since I didn't put my timing chip on). There were several obstacles like jumping over fire, climbing barricades, swimming through water and mud, crawling under barbed wire, etc. It was definitely more fun than a traditional 5k. We are planning on doing this next year and hopefully Erik will feel better!
Hanging out by the fire
 One of our friends noted that Sarah's bathing suit, with the pink tutu, animal print, and her bling "S" necklace looked a little "Jersey Shore". I'll let you be the judge of that.

As I was reading the Bible to her the other night, I read the verse Rev. 3:20 where Jesus says "Behold I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door I will come in and eat with that person." After hearing this verse Sarah remarked "If Jesus was knocking at the door I would say 'Who is it?'" She always has a way to make me smile.
Sarah
 The weeks have really flown by. With my busy semester and a paper I'm trying to get published in a conference time has flown by. The kids start school soon. Jenna will be in third grade, Sarah in Kindergarten, and Matthew starts preschool. It's an exciting time!

Since so many fruits are in season  I've canned quite a bit of jam. I canned peach and blueberry jam the other day. The blueberry jam is perfect (of course I love blueberries) but the peach jam is a little on the sweet side. Next time I'll mix in some raspberries or lemon to cut the sweetness. I also made peach bread. Now this was amazing. We couldn't get enough of the peach bread.
Jam and bread
Here is my recipe for peach bread. It makes 2 9x5 loaves:
Peach bread
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
6 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sour cream
2 cups diced fresh peaches

Cream butter, sugar, extracts together. Then mix in dry ingredients alternating with sour cream. Finally, fold in peaches. Bake in 350°F oven for 50 minutes.

Yum!

No comments: