Saturday, August 17, 2013

Some changes

When my mother-in-law offered to babysit the kids while I was working I don't think she realized how much I actually work. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I leave at 4:15 and come home around 11pm. She has been feeding everyone dinner while I've been gone, which has been a big help to Erik. I've had several meetings during the day (I used to get babysitters) and she has babysat for all of them. It has been unbelievably helpful.

Thursday was Sarah's first day of Kindergarten. (more on this in a different post). She is done with school at 3:45 and I have to leave at 4:15. So I saw her for about half an hour on her first day of school. I didn't get to eat dinner with my family. Even so, I love my job that I can be home with the kids during the day. It has really worked out well while the kids were young.

Erik and I have been working this schedule for the past several years and my job is really fantastic for us. But can it get better? Oh yea!

I alluded awhile back to some tough decisions about my job. I've accepted a full time online faculty position in the College of Engineering and will no longer teach onsite. What does this mean?

I'll get to eat dinner every night with my family.

I will still have a full time job and rewarding career.

I can be at the kids activities.

I will be able to attend our small group at our house.

They told me they had been trying to get me for a long time. I assume that means they like me already :).

Let me just say God's timing is perfect. When I worked full time as an engineer I knew we wanted to have kids someday and thought teaching would be a good career for me. So I did a test lecture and was hired as an adjunct instructor. Two years later I was hired full time giving me the opportunity to get my PhD. Shortly after I finished my PhD there was a big push for all faculty to get PhD's (been there, done that). When teaching nights became hard because the kids were in school all day, I was hired full time online. I'll start after my session off. Praise God for his provision for us!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is it still with DeVry?