Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Mexican Birthday

Erik's birthday is Thursday. Since he is on a diet I am not making him a big yummy cake or fancy dessert I've decided to make his favorite type of food (Mexican) every day of the week. Here is the menu:

Monday: beef enchiladas (these are from my Cook's country cookbook). These enchiladas are made with steak that simmers in a homemade taco sauce for 2 hours. It is unbelievable
Tuesday: Chicken enchiladas and homemade guacamole
Wednesday: Taco chicken (just chicken breasts with taco seasoning) and spanish rice
Thursday: Mexican beef pizza (I make pizza dough and put taco meat, peppers, cheese on top and bake it)
Friday: Cheese quesadillas and fresh salsa

Hopefully Erik will like this gift rather than a cake. I want a cake but I guess it isn't my birthday.

On Saturday Jenna had a sleepover and had 3 friends over. One of the friends had her kindle and I gave her the password for our wireless internet. Jenna said they were up until 3am (3am???) playing with the kindle. Yikes?!?

This made me realize we are behind the times. While we don't allow our kids to play electronics in bed, other kids will bring electronics over and we don't want them getting on the internet unsupervised. We have no internet filtering.  We haven't needed it. So after some research we found OpenDNS. This is a really easy way to filter content and it works. Hopefully we can stay a step ahead and protect our kids.

Books I am/have read recently

  1. The Once and Future King by T.H. White. Our book club finished the book. Dan summed it up nicely when he said it was just like college, I'm glad I did it but don't want to do it again. That is exactly how I feel. I liked the ending and thought it brought the whole book together.
  2. The Mortal Instruments - City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. This book is teeny bopper like Twilight. There are more books in the series but I'm gearing up for the beginning of March when Words of Radiance (Brandon Sanderson) comes out so I won't be reading them.
  3. Cinder by Marissa Meyer. This is a fun twist on the Cinderella story since Cinder is a cyborg. It is the first book in a 3 book series
  4. The Gripping Hand by Pournelle and Niven. This book is getting really good too. It had a slow start but I'm really enjoying it now. 




No comments: