Saturday, September 06, 2008

food, food, food!


For our anniversary yesterday we went to the cheesecake factory - yum. I've included a picture of the slice of cheesecake I got. It was heavenly. Jenna wanted to share but I didn't want to, which sparked a discussion about how princesses share and that mommy was not being a princess.


Lately we've been on a creme brulee kick. Erik bought a torch and we've been torching the creme brulee and enjoying its silky creaminess with the hard shell on top. First I scald cream and sugar and mix it with egg yolks and vanilla. Then cook it in a water bath (see photo). After chilling for a few hours, we take it out, sprinkle sugar on it then Erik lights the torch and carmelizes the sugar. It's a fun dessert.

In addition to my creme brulee desserts, I've been playing around with making homemade pasta. Wow - what a difference. I had never made homemade pasta before but everyone does it on iron chef. So much flavor!! It doesn't take that long to make but is so delicious. Since I had some extra heavy cream (from the creme brulee), I heated it with some fresh garlic, butter, and basil to make a cream sauce. Then cooked the fresh pasta (only needs to cook for 2 minutes) tossed it with the cream sauce, more basil, and cherry tomatos from our garden. Fantastic! The picture doesn't do it justice - I promise it was good.


I also had to include this adorable picture of Sarah in the sink. There is a similar picture of my sister Missy in the sink when she was about the same age. There's something about second borns and bathing in the sink :).
57 points on Quiddler today - I lost the Q. It was a terrible showing!!



2 comments:

Dave said...

Shame on you, not being a princess! :) Isn't it funny how kids can turn stuff around on us?

Cheryl said...

Great pictures of Sarah. I have some pictures of babies - not sure which ones - in the sink and that's always cute.

I'm sorry we missed the creme brulee
last week. It looks delicious, as does the pasta. I've never made homemade pasta that I can remember at least. What a fun and delicious meal.

The cheesecake is certainly scrumptious looking - layers of chocolate and vanilla cheesecake. Did you actually eat dinner there too? Their cheesecake certainly can be a meal in itself.

Hugs and kisses to Jenna and Sarah!!!
love, Mom