Sunday, January 24, 2010

Iron Chef: Prego Spaghetti Sauce

Erik went to the store to get a secret ingredient today. I anticipated making several dishes but didn't make any of the ones I thought. The secret ingredient was Prego spaghetti sauce to celebrate my "preggo" state. Funny.

Anyway, Prego is actually a difficult secret ingredient since it's not that versatile. I didn't want to have 4 pasta dishes so I had to think outside the box. I had a somewhat tough time with this but pulled out 5 dishes, two of which were stellar!

  1. Prego bruschetta - Normally bruschetta uses an olive paste over toasted bread topped with a fresh tomato mixture. I put prego sauce over toasted bread, with fresh tomates, green onions, fresh basil, and some grated romano cheese. This earned me a 10 on taste as it was "so nummy" as Sarah says.
  2. Potatoes galette with Prego - I don't normally make potato dishes for iron chef since they take so long to cook. This one I had in the oven for 45 minutes and yet the potatoes were still too hard! It was sliced potatoes and onions in a prego sauce covered with mozarella and Italian spices. The flavors worked well but the under-doneness of the potatoes earned me a low score.
  3. Homemade ravioli - Yum! Yum! Yum! I made two sheets of pasta dough then filled them with three cheeses, prego sauce, and pepperoni. I cooked the ravioli and topped it with a Prego sauce that had extra garlic and prosciutto in it. This was a fabulous dish!
  4. Prego stuffed pepper meatballs - I made meatballs with prego sauce and cooked them in a red pepper so the flavor of the pepper would enhance the meatball. This was very good too.
  5. Parmesan crusted salmon with Prego and garlic butter - here is where it all fell apart. Now I know why spaghetti sauce is not paired with salmon often. The flavors were competing and they didn't go well together. Well...now we know.

Erik rated me a 14.2 and I rated myself a 14.6. He gave me lots of originality points but a 4/10 on taste for the salmon. Erik really didn't like it :(.

Erik finished painting and assembling the bunk beds. He is so handy! We put the girls in the bunk beds last night but Sarah kept coming out so she had to go back to her own room. Today they both played up in the top bunk. Sarah is adept at climbing up and down (no -we don't even have a ladder, they use the slats on the side of the bed!).

78 points on quiddler today. "woot" is not a word according to Quiddler online. Who are these people anyway? They don't know jokey or woot? Come on!



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Quiddler is redonkulous, I go to woot.com everyday! You should file a petition to get "woot" added to their antiquated dictionary. They probably do not recognize Twitter or tweet either.

Adorable pic of the girls in the beds.

~Just "Missy" now (sniff...tear)