Monday, August 23, 2010

(lots of children)!=sleep

Psalm 127:2 states "For so He gives his beloved sleep." Yet directly after that verse in Psalm 127:3-5 we have the following words "children are a heritage from the Lord, the fruit of the womb is a reward. Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them."

This is an apparent Biblical contradiction, almost as blatant as the geneaology of Jesus contradiction in Matthew and Luke. How can one with many children get sleep? Last night Matthew slept a blessed 6 hours. While everything I've read says that a child weighing at least 11 lbs can sleep 8 hours, my massive chunky monkey can't seem to go that long without food. More on his weight in a later post. Anyway, even though Matthew slept well last night, Sarah woke up three times screaming prompting me to actually sleep in bed with her last night to calm her down. Not sure about the "beloved sleep" thing with 3 kids.

In other news:
  1. I will be going back to work on Monday (the 30th) teaching an online class. It is online so I don't have to leave the house, but I'll actually have to check my email and respond with phrases other than "I'm on maternity leave now, please direct your question to....".
  2. I reactivated my Lifetime membership. While I can not workout during the day since Matthew must be 3 months old to go to the childcare center, I did go to a Pilates class in the evening. It was amazing, and I felt so good afterwards. The teacher is as flexible as gumby and maybe someday I will be too!
  3. I finished book 2 of the Conquerors trilogy by Timothy Zahn. This is a fun series but I am waiting to read book 3 until I finish a library book. The library tends to get mad and charge me lots of fines when I don't return books. Again I've maxed out my library card and had to use Jenna's card to check out books. Apparently this is "ghetto" according to one of my students. Anyway, the library book is called the Briar King by Greg Keyes and is very good. Terry Brooks liked it (according to the back cover) so I was less hesitant to read it than Gardens of the Moon.
  4. Erik and I are working our way through Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson. The author uses big words like trireme, however he has not used the word "inchoate." This is one of the words authors seem to prefer using when they want to sound smart. It's on my mind since I recently read it in Searoad by Ursula K. LeGuin. Yes - I'm reading that one too!
  5. 97 points on Quiddler today. I got 20 points for an 8 letter word!! "clanking". That just made my day - who needs sleep when I can get 8 letter words!

1 comment:

John M. said...

I think it's all in the timing. My theory is that He really wants us to appreciate how great a gift sleep is and children are a perfect way for us to gain that appreciation *smile*. Then later on when sleep actually comes we know why this is such a great gift.

young children => little sleep => great need for sleep => ready for the gift when it comes.

Fortunately I have the luxury of being able to say this with all of them sleeping through the night;-). I might have interpreted it differently a few years back - my memory tends be selective about those type of things.

Hope all is well with the family!