Wednesday, November 16, 2011

20 Life Skills I wish I had

I wish I had skills. And not just nunchucks skills, real life skills. 

I've compiled a list of 20 skills I wish I had and maybe someday I'll develop these skills.

20. Wear makeup.  Never really learned how to apply it properly but I know I would look prettier if I wore it.
19. Pick a lock.  My friend was locked out of her house and had to kick the door in, then she threw her back out.  All because she didn't know how to pick a lock.
18. Scuba diving.  Would love to see the undersea world close up.
17. Hot wire a car.  This seems like a good thing to know in an emergency or if I wanted to be a car thief on the side.
16. Program an Arduino. There are so many cool things you can do with an Arduino and from what I've read, it doesn't sound like it's that hard to program.
15. Shoot a bow/archery.  I'd love to be able to hit a target with a bow and arrow. Then I could be like Legolas!
14. Fencing and swordplay.  To go along with number 15, it would be awesome to know how to use a sword properly.
13. Sew.  It involves a needle and thread...beyond that I'm lost.  Sewing is a useful skill though.  Someday I'll learn how to sew!  Maybe I'll make some clothes for our family.
12. Have a poker face.  For some reason my emotions are always written on my face so plainly. I wish I could have a poker face so no one would know what I'm thinking. And so I could win at poker!
11. Add an electrical outlet.  Erik has added many electrical outlets in our basement. I watched him but never did one myself. I'd like to learn how to do it without electrocuting myself.
10. Canning.  I'd love to can the vegetables we grow in the garden. This year the extra tomatoes we had ended up going bad and we had to throw them away. I knew we couldn't eat them all in time but I didn't have a way to can them.
9. Whistle.  I was so embarrassed in 5th grade when I was the only kid in class who couldn't whistle. I still can't whistle.
8. Fishing and then clean, gut and filet the fish.  How rewarding it would be to fish for your own food and then cook that food yourself.  I would love to do this.
7. Play guitar. Much to Scruffles dismay, I would love to learn to play the guitar.  Scruffles hates the sound of my playing so much he runs away at the sight of my guitar case.
6. Speak Spanish.  I would love to know another language. Knowing and thinking in only English is limiting.  Of course, I'd need to find someone to speak Spanish with.
5. Write a useful Android App.  I've gotten so far as to install the Android development kit on my computer to use with Eclipse.  The next step is Hello World.
4. Get the kids to go to bed on time. Seriously, tonight it was 10pm. GO TO BED!
3. Know directions.  I'd like to be able to know which direction I'm facing, how to use a compass and map properly and generally know how to get anywhere.  I'm terrible with directions in real life and in MMOs. I always need help getting around.
2. Grow food.  We have 3 gardens and while they did well, they could have produced more.  We have a lot of ideas for next year (tying the vining plants to a stake so they vine up rather than out) that will hopefully help us grow more food.
1. First aid.  I wish I had some first aid skills. Especially since I have three kids, two of which are crazy climbers (Sarah and Matthew).  I'm actually taking the Red Cross First Aid course in a few weeks so hopefully this will give me some knowledge.

That was my list.  What skills would you like to have?

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Most of those are learnable with a few Youtube videos, I'm sure! :) I've never learned how to whistle. It's sad to be in our little Non Whistlers Club. I canned for the first time this year (applesauce) and it's kinda fun. I used Heather's canning equipment, but it doesn't seem too expensive to buy what you need. There are a TON of books from the library that are helpful. AND i bet a lot of those books have a section on how to grow great food to can! :)

Anonymous said...

I took Archery in college. Unfortunately I was not very good at it. I always froze the jams and Tomato sauce that I made and the applesauce. Nana