Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Mushroom Delight!

Today we checked our box of mushrooms to water them and WOW! Sarah is holding one of the mushrooms. It was huge and delicious!  I sauteed the mushroom in butter and we ate it for lunch.  Sarah was so excited to eat the mushroom we grew.

Sarah with her prized mushroom

This mushroom is getting big! This is a picture in its intermediate stage.

Besides growing mushrooms, my session off has been really good and gone by really fast. Next session (starting in January) I'll have 2 new classes and 4 classes total. This will be tough for me especially since I'll be gone Tuesday nights which is the night we have Bible study at our house. It's difficult for Erik to lead the study and set up the dinner when I'm not there. I always make the dinner ahead of time, but he still has to set everything out (and keep the kids from destroying the house).

Last night I made tropical fruity chicken. I wasn't sure how it would turn out since it had maraschino cherries, raisins, and madarin oranges in a sweet sauce mixed with chicken. However it was really good. I'll have to remember this one.

Tropical fruity chicken (I served it over rice)

In other news:
  1. I finished reading the Dispossessed by Ursula K. LeGuin. It is a good book, very well written showing the problems with both capitalism and communism.  While it is a good book, it wasn't one that I couldn't put down.
  2. I also finished reading Lud-in-the-Mist by Hope Mirrlees for our Coo* book club. This book was interesting but I didn't really get into it. In fact, I didn't care about the characters at all. You really need to empathize or at least somewhat care about the characters to get into a story.
  3. We had a fabulous Thanksgiving with my parents. We left the kids (all 3!) Thursday night and picked them up on Saturday morning. On Friday we slept in until 10:30. Yipee!!  Then we went on a date to Tumbleweed and then to Panera to drink a mocha and sit by the fire. That was so nice.
  4. My friend Lynn made me her secret recipe chocolate chip cookies. They even won the Medina County Fair!  They were really delicious and warm right out of the oven. I think I need to do another chocolate chip cookie test.
  5. 54 points on Quiddler today. I made the word "tolling" but lost a "j" with 13 points at the end so it wasn't a good Quiddler day for me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is really a big mushroom! Nana

Amanda said...

Holy Mushroom, Batman!! I've never seen an edible mushroom that big. Did it taste like a button mushroom? What a fun project. Your chicken looks good, but I bet Rick wouldn't like it. He's not into fruity mixed with proteins. No apple with pork chops in our home. Doesn't bother me much.

Gina Cooper said...

It had a whole lot more flavor than a button mushroom. It was like the difference between fresh picked strawberries and the ones you buy at kroger