Monday, August 13, 2012

Crazy Zucchinis

How was your summer?  Crazy busy!  This is what I hear when I talk to acquaintances. Really? Do you want your life to be crazy busy? I don't.

I think we've had a wonderful relaxing summer. Next week Jenna starts second grade and we are living up every last minute of our summer! I spent some time with each girl individually. Jenna said she wanted to go for a walk with Mommy and talk and Sarah wanted a donut. So Jenna and I went on a 1 1/2 mile walk and Sarah and I hit Tim Hortons for cream filled donuts. When Matthew gets older I'll spend some time individually with him too.
The kids in the indoor playhouse
 We have a huge cardboard "house" in our living room now. They have been playing in it and coloring it. This play house is actually a huge hit. Our outside playhouse is also a big hit with all the kids. The girls have decided they are in the Olympics now after watching it constantly for the past two weeks.
The kids in the outdoor playhouse
 Our zucchini plants are pretty much going crazy. This zucchini I picked was so huge I made 4 loaves of zucchini bread, zucchini cakes, and zucchini cheesy rice out of just this one zucchini. We also have 4 more in the garden that are ready to pick. I'm sure my family is tired of zucchini.  I'm tired of the word zucchini. I wish it was named something easier to say and write like zuke or zini or skip the z altogether and call it an ini.
Our massive zucchini - the cherry tomato is provided as a size reference
Another update on our garden. Previously I posted that I thought our pumpkin was actually a watermelon. Well I left it on the vine and it has turned orange. Pumpkin orange! Apparently pumpkins start out looking like green watermelons. We have several pumpkins now (the rest are all green) and I'm excited about our pumpkin prospects!

Books I'm reading:
  1. Our Coo* book club is reading the second Mistborn novel the Well of Ascension. I like this book however not as much as Mistborn. It is still a good read and I'm enjoying it.
  2. I'm also reading Magician: Master by Raymond Feist. This book is much better than the first one and the plot and world building has become much more complex. I know this series is long so I'm looking forward to reading more of it.
  3. I've started reading Crazy Love by Francis Chan. This book puts into perspective our lives versus the greatness of God. There is a video Bible study that goes with the book and we are planning to do this for our small group starting in a month.
My Quiddler score was lame today. Only 74 points.

No comments: