Sunday, September 15, 2013

WITO

This weekend me and four friends embarked on an outdoor adventure. I attend the Women in the Outdoors event hosted by the NWTF which I believe stands for the National Wild Turkey Federation but I'm not sure. There was a lot of turkey talk over the weekend.
Beautiful Camp Muskingum
The camp was picturesque. It is an FFA camp with 370 acres of beautiful trees and a lake. We had no cell coverage either which is a good or bad thing depending on your opinion. The women in the outdoors event is a 3 day event similar to Becoming an Ohio Outdoor woman. Last year Michelle and Susan came to the BOW event with me. This year Nicole and Virginia joined the three of us. I think they loved it. Since I brought 4 other people with me (apparently that was a lot) I won a $25 gift card to cabelas (that's going to my bow and arrow - shhhh don't tell Erik).

Nicole, Virginia, Me, Michelle, and Susan
 I chose 5 different sessions:

  1. Fishing - Nicole, Virginia, Michelle, and I all took this class together. Michelle caught 2 fish but I came up empty handed.
  2. Zipline and climbing wall - Fun! Fun! Fun! The zipline is part of their high ropes course so to get up to the zip line, I needed to climb a ladder until I could put my feet on these tiny metal rings sticking out of the trees. That was a climbing wall in itself. At the top, of the tree was the zipline. I loved the zipline! The first time I scooted off the platform (since I was a beginner). The second time I leapt off! The climbing wall was a lot of fun too. I would love to do this more.
  3. Archery - My favorite. All I want is a bow now. After an introduction our instructor let us shoot arrows at the targets. After warming up, he put balloons on the targets near the bulls eye. I popped two balloons before anyone else did. I ended up with a total of 5 balloons popped! More than anyone else in our group. I was so excited!!
  4. Fish fillet - Our instructor had three bags of fish he wanted us to fillet. I basically spent this class cutting and gutting fish. Then he breaded the fish and fried it up for us to eat. It was yummy. My hands smelled like fish the rest of the night.
  5. Tree rodeo - We took a hike through the woods and identified trees. There are so many trees - it made me realize how little I know. I didn't even realize poison ivy could climb trees and has berries. Yikes!

The climbing wall and me at the top

Yes - I'm really climbing it


The climb up the tree to the zipline

Michelle and her fish and lots of sunlight

Nicole ready for fishing or walking the plank

We really had a blast this weekend at this event. This event had several raffles. I entered to win two guns but didn't win them. I thought it would be great to come back with a gun. Erik would send me every year :). Even so - I'd rather have a bow. I did win some hair care products though. Not quite a gun but it is something. 

I can't wait until next year! I guess I need to be a women in the indoors until then.....

No comments: