Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Who wants a shardblade anyway?

Our friends Erin and Steve were married on Saturday. The wedding was beautiful and we were excited to be a part of the wedding. The reception was fun too but the toast was epic. Steve and Erin play table top role playing games and are quite the nerds (we love them!). Steve just finished his Industrial Engineering degree at OSU and Erin is a PhD student in English at Ohio State. Steve is one of the funniest people I know - just like Jon Cook. Erin is one of the smartest people I know and the only one I've heard use the word "draconian" in a sentence.

The groomsman giving the toast gave part of the toast in engineering language ("may no shearing force separate you", "the tensile strength of your love", etc) and part of the toast in Old Norse which is a language that Erin has been studying. When he finished the room erupted in applause. I had tears from laughing so hard.
Erin and Steve
On Sunday I went to my cousin's baby shower. It was exciting since we didn't know the gender of the baby until she cut the cake. This is a fun way to reveal the gender of a baby. She cut the cake and it was pink!
Angie cutting her cake
Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson was released on March 4. It is 1087 pages of
AWESOMENESS!
He really knows how to write, especially endings. I laughed (seriously laughed) and had my heart broken while reading this book. I loved it.

In high school I decided to read all of Ray Bradbury's books. I loved his writing and wanted to read all of it. I tried this with Isaac Asimov but he had too many books.  I want to read all of Brandon Sanderson's books. He is such a good writer.

I copied this list below from wikipedia:
Firstborn (short story) (2008)
Defending Elysium (short story) (2008)
Infinity Blade: Awakening (novella) (2011)
Infinity Blade: Redemption (novella) (2013)
The Emperor's Soul (novella) (2012)
Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell (short story) (2013)
Elantris (2005)
Warbreaker (2009)
Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians (2007)
Alcatraz Versus the Scrivener's Bones (2008)
Alcatraz Versus the Knights of Crystallia (2009)
Alcatraz Versus the Shattered Lens (2010)
Legion (2012)
Mistborn: The Final Empire (2006)
Mistborn: The Well of Ascension (2007)
Mistborn: The Hero of Ages (2008)
Mistborn: The Alloy of Law (2011)
Steelheart (2013)
Mitosis (short story, 2013)
Firefight (Fall 2014)
The Rithmatist (2013)
The Way of Kings (2010)
Words of Radiance (2014)
The Gathering Storm (2009)
Towers of Midnight (2010)
A Memory of Light (2013)


Out of the 26 I have only read 11. So now this is my new task. Then obviously I will make a list of my favorite books!

No comments: