Sunday, May 11, 2014

Toothetina made a visit

Every day, to every person, in every location Sarah has been showing her wiggly tooth. To anyone who will listen Sarah has wiggled her tooth for them. She has been anxiously waiting for her bottom tooth to fall out. In fact, we could see the tooth behind it peeking through so we knew it would be soon. At school last Friday 5/2 Jenna lost her tooth. Poor Sarah - she had been so excited to lose a tooth and Jenna lost one. 

However the long awaited event occurred. Sarah lost her first tooth on Friday 5/9 and was ecstatic! The tooth fairy left her laffy taffy (her favorite candy today) and some hard earned cash.
Sarah lost her first tooth!
 Our church hosted a conference for the Evangelical Covenant churches in our region. Pastors from New York, Michigan, etc were all at our church and I was hired to make 8 dozen cupcakes for them. I made:

  1. Chocolate cupcakes with chocolate frosting - yummy, this is really the best combination
  2. Lemon cupcakes with lemon frosting - Three lemons worth of zest and juice!
  3. Vanilla cupcakes with cinnamon buttercream - yummy/slightly boring
  4. Red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese frosting - I always make these and the reason they asked me. They like these cupcakes so much.
  5. Peppermint mocha cupcakes with peppermint buttercream - AMAZING! These were the best cupcakes I've ever made. 
Actually all my cupcakes use buttercream. I generally use the same base recipe and just add a few things to modify it. The peppermint buttercream recipe on the site linked above uses twice the amount of butter I use in my buttercream. The flavor was noticeably less sweet and richer. I think I'll have to modify my base buttercream recipe. This was delicious!

Chocolate/chocolate

Peppermint mocha and cinnamon vanilla
Lemon drop
 We like to go camping on Mothers Day weekend since it is a good weekend to kick off camping season and the kids love it. Matthew talked so much about camping that his teachers were impressed. The campground had a Mothers Day craft involving lots of messy paint and decorating a Styrofoam cup as a flower pot. Jenna was so artistic with her flower pot that the volunteers were impressed. She wouldn't let me get a picture though (I will have to sneak a pic). The kids really had fun camping. Jenna said camping is her favorite part of summer. I read Steelheart by Brandon Sanderson on the trip, since at night we just sat by the fire and read books. I loved it! Sooo relaxing.
Decorating the flower pots

Sidewalk chalk by the camper
The Tough Mudder is next weekend and hopefully we are tough enough. I had fun doing the Warrior Dash - it is not a competition but a cooperative event. The Tough Mudder should be like this as well. I enjoy triathlons but I like the cooperative aspect of these events even more. It should be fun!


1 comment:

DVK said...

You need to combine the tough mudder with the cupcakes some how....