Sunday, May 18, 2014

Tough Mudder 2014: The Cold never bothered me anyway...

Nope. The cold does bother me. On Saturday our team of 5 people ran the Tough Mudder in arctic temperatures. One might assume that we looked like this:

Sarah and Matthew playing with the neighbor kids 
 or this:
More Sarah and Matthew playing with the neighbor kids
In fact, we were muddier!
Erik, me, Tricia, Nate, and Tim
 The course was 10 1/2 miles with 21 obstacles. I loved the cooperative element especially since everyone helped me :).
Everyone helping Erik up the Berlin Walls
Me leaving the barbed wire trenches
 When I think about what the hardest obstacle of the event was, it was definitely the weather. None of the obstacles were as difficult as the cold temperatures. The temperature varied from 40° - 50° and overcast (sometimes raining). The cold sapped all my strength. I'm hard core though, obstacles, hypothermia, mud in my hair....no biggie.

I skipped 3 obstacles - the arctic enema, walk the plank and funky monkey. All of these required you to swim through really cold water. I was geared up to do all of the obstacles but at the time, I was way too cold. Last year Erik said he ran a lot more. This year we sludged through the mud almost the entire 10 1/2 miles.

Today every part of my body is sore. I'm glad my parents watched the kids yesterday. Although today it was hard to take care of them when we were both sore!

Would I do this again? Yes if it is warmer and only if it is warmer!

No comments: