Monday, June 30, 2008

Cut, Cut, Cut

Last Saturday I took a knife essentials class at Sur La Table and had a wonderful time! The class went over basic cuts and we practiced with a variety of knives. I was able to try several knives and even tried a $400 ceramic knife. It was so light but cut through everything! While I already have an excellent chef's knife, I purchased another knife. I got the Wusthof Grand Prix 2 Santuko knife. It's sharp (ha!ha!) and I'm finding excuses to cut things with it. While I already had proper technique with knives, I need to practice more to achieve more uniform cuts quickly. While the class was really expensive, I loved it! Erik would love it too - we both like sharp things!


In other news:


  1. Giving up Butterscotch has been harder than I thought it would be. He has been locked away and has had a terrible life for the past 3 years, yet I have to fight the urge to call and get him back. He would just go back to living in our bathroom again, so I know he must be happier. I just need to trust God to take care of him.

  2. I love lists of books to read. Here is a book list I recently found that labels books by shelf. The top shelf books are speculative fiction that everyone should read (according to the site). I've read 14 out of 35 and many of these are on my list to read.

  3. My girls are so cute. That's about all I need to say.

  4. My birthday is on Saturday and Erik and Jenna are going to make me a cake. Yea!
  5. I got 69 on Quiddler today and made the word "gox". I didn't realize Dr. Seuss words count in Quiddler!! I've just expanded my vocabulary 10 fold!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The rescue lady called you, that was a sign. So trust that you have made the right decision.

Cheryl said...

Gina, You will have to show me your knife expertise!!! How do you keep them sharp? That is difficult at times.

I've never heard of many of the books on that list.

Cute girls!!!

love, Mom

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry about your cat. I know how that feels, so I hope Butterscotch is happy and free now.

Regarding the new knife, that class sounds interesting. I refer to what you're experiencing as "New Hammer Syndrome", which I last went through when I purchased a drill.

Whenever you get a new tool you really like, suddenly you start looking around everywhere for things to use it on. (When you buy a new car, you suddenly see all the people driving them; it's a phenomena of selective perception.)

Hmm....this meat needs to be a little more tender. POUND POUND POUND! I think this dent in the hood of my car will come out...etc.

I think you're okay, but if you find yourself using your new knife to open the mail or something, seek help! (And remember, always cut AWAY from yourself:P)
-nullmuse

Anonymous said...

Oh, and that's an interesting booklist. I own and have read 51.4% of the "Top Shelf" books, and will look into the ones I haven't heard of, along with the other shelves. (I love A.C.Clarke but hadn't heard of that one.)

Hilariously, I thought "The Stars My Destination" was TERRIBLE, but I love Alfred Bester! I recommend you try his "Demolished Man" instead. It's a WONDERFUL piece of sci-fi writing.

Why start with the worst and work up?! Start with the best!
-nullmuse again