Wednesday, June 11, 2008

RFID

Erik and I have had a few discussions on the topic of RFID and I'd like to share our discussions here. We both agree that RFID technology is cool. It's cool stuff - to learn about it, watch this youtube video. It has great implications for inventory tracking, JIT manufacturing, and data mining of products...OF PRODUCTS! Thousands of people have had RFID chips embedded in their arms, even one of my students is tagged. During a discussion with my students, most of them said they would definitely get one embedded.

Okay, I know there have been doomsayers for years predicting the mark of the beast and the end of the world, and I'm not saying this will happen even in our lifetime, but the natural progression of RFID tags would lead to what is described in Revelation 13:16-17 "He also forced everyone, small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on his right hand or on his forehead, so that no one could buy or sell unless he had the mark, which is the name of the beast or the number of his name." How easy it would be to just turn off the chip if you did something displeasing to the government!

Here is where Erik and I disagree. He says that if he just took the strip out of his credit card and put it in his arm it would still be the strip from his credit card. I agree. And we both understand that RFID tags were not created for a bad purpose (that we know of) but rather as an excellent tool for tracking products. My thought is that independent of the technology, God has warned us that the mark of the beast has these characteristics (from Revelations) and whether or not the technology is benign (or we think is benign), we have been warned. Erik thinks it will be obvious we would be choosing the mark of the beast, I do not think so. I think we have been warned and regardless of the technology, should not receive a chip implanted in our arms or forehead.

So my vast readership, will you weigh in on our discussion please? I would love to hear more opinions. Will it be obvious that we are choosing the mark of the beast, or could it be a benign technology like RFID slipped under our noses (or under our arms for that matter)?

5 comments:

Joel said...

This is certainly a topic I've thought about before. My friends have had such discussions. It's weird and crazy stuff.

While I do think it'll be a bit more obvious when it actually gets to that point, I don't believe I will ever be getting any such thing embedded anywhere.

I think it'll be more obvious, when it gets to the point where it's government law that each of us gets an identification chip implanted, and there are severe repercussions for those who don't. But who knows. I'm kind of hoping this isn't something I have to deal with during my lifetime. :)

Cheryl said...

Your blog about RFID is very interesting. I have known that in the future you could put your purchases in a bag and walk out, and they would be scanned and put onto a credit card. I had no idea what that was called. The youtube video was very informative. Why would a person want one of those imbedded in their body? No one is buying us. I certainly wouldn't want one in me. I agree with you in that. There are many things happening in this world, and in our own country, especially by liberals, that lead to a one world government as the Bible says. At least I think that is in Revelation somewhere. The anti-christ will rule over the world. I think anything that looks like it may be leading to people being tracked like packages with a chip in their bodies could become quite dangerous.

However, I do believe the ID chip that the anti-christ will require will be very obvious and those believers who are here then will have to make a very important decision about following Christ. The Bible also says many will fall away during those times.

I will show this to dad.
love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Vast readership??? I know I'm a little over-weight, but come ON--vast?!? :P

Before I wax over-long, I cannot recommend highly enough that everyone reads the book "The Traveller", by John Twleve Hawks, which is both a fun read, and sort of addresses these same issues of technology and our lives.

(Also, Book 2 "The Dark River" comes out in paperback on June 24th, so timing to start them is excellent.)

This is something I've thought a lot about myself, and without even watching youtube, I worry about the implications.

The soon-forthcoming "Personal ID" card that will be mandated by our government MIGHT (very likely WILL) contain an RFID tag, and England has already implemented a similar system that DOES contain such a device.

Carrying a credit card is one thing, but RFID chips, much like a "speedpass" card, can be scanned remotely by a third party, and without your knowledge, by any number of devices (handheld or installed).

Very quickly data could be compiled on an individual concerning not just their current location, but also WHERE they go, HOW LONG they spend there, and can easily be cross-referenced against personal credit information (ATM/Debit card), showing where and how you spend you money.

This makes personal profiling of an individual effortless. You go to the gym three times a week for roughly an hour and buy bottled water, etc. and very quickly it amounts to invasion of privacy--with access to just those two pieces of information a person's complete existence can be detailed without their consent.

And I won't even address how nefarious profiling becomes when you add in the monitoring of telephone and internet communications that could ALSO be crossed against that information.

Only spending CASH would somewhat negate this, and we are ever-more increasingly becoming a 'cash-free' society. (Witness the VISA card ads wherein a shopper is embarrassed and ashamed to bring everyone's joy to a halt by doing anything other than swiping their card.)

Even then, you have to make transactions at the ATM or a bank just to GET cash, so even THAT is somewhat traceable.

If the gov't mandates the carrying of an ID card that contains a unique RFID chip, our society will instantly become the technological equivalent of a Japanese paper house, where you can see and hear what's going on around you, but you're supposed to pretend you don't notice it.

I'm completely opposed to anything that might inhibit the expression of unique ideas or beliefs, and the institution of such an ID system is a return the the McCarthy era or worse.

I think the REAL problem now has become that there is no "New World" (excepting space, albeit not very practical) where someone can GO to in an attempt to avoid the scrutiny of anybody who would want to keep tabs on their "free citizens" this closely.
-Nullmuse

Anonymous said...

(And if I didn't answer the question or you can't infer it from my reply, "Yes" I suppose I have to agree that forcibly-carried RFID tags DO equate to the "Mark of the Beast" referred to in EndTimes Revelation literature.
-nullmuse)

Anonymous said...

It starts out with book burning like with Hitler regime, Then to ID,like the star of David for Jews for identification purposes only, also in the Hitler regime. Then on to wiretapping our phones "looking for terrorists". These are people who want to control everyone.