Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Farmer in the Dell



The farmer in my dell stopped working yesterday. For the past few weeks I've been getting an error when I booted my dell that my second hard drive wasn't working. But I was fine with that since I don't need to back anything up to it anymore (now that I have the NAS). But last night it wouldn't boot or enter setup. We found a jumper on the motherboard labeled CLR CMOS and that sounded promising. So we reset the jumper and rebooted the machine. We got some pretty messages but nothing beyond that. Bummer.





Erik wanted to buy a new motherboard, but with my powers of persuasion, I convinced him that I needed a new computer. Unfortunately for Erik, my dell was better than his computer and my new one will be better than his too. His parent's computer is better than his computer too. I think he's feeling some computer envy :). Anyway, I am getting a Dell Inspiron Athlon dual core 2.10GHz machine with 2GB RAM (but I've got 2 extra DIMMs that should be compatible to up it to 4GB). I'll need more RAM since I'll have Vista.



We have been watching the Olympics every night and staying up late too. I love the women's gymnastics and was sad we didn't take the gold last night. The gymnasts just amaze me!

I'm currently reading the Traveler by John Twelve Hawks. It's an excellent book whose main story about travelers is just his way of conveying his opinion about RFID, video suveillance, monitoring, databases, and lack of freedom caused by (in his words) "the vast machine". Certainly much to think about.

Got 83 points on quiddler today. Apparently PHT is a word.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that a bracelet on Bug's ankle, or is she just happy to see me?

~Miss

Anonymous said...

"The vast machine" is in the media a lot these days...as are traffic cameras. Is that the definition of irony??
-nullmuse

(Speaking of vast machines, congrats on your new 4GB Dell PC. Jealous!)