Saturday, September 05, 2009

Shapes!

As Jenna and I were talking about shapes, I realized I hadn't made a list of my favorite shapes. What a huge error on my part! I left you hanging as to if I like a parallelogram or isoceles triangle more! Well the wait is up - here is my list of top 10 favorite shapes.

  1. Right triangle. This made the top of my list because of the Pythagorean theorem. a^2+b^2=c^2. That's good stuff. Even better is when you have nice round numbers like 3, 4, and 5 as the lengths of the sides.
  2. Circle. The circle is such a perfect shape and provides lots of jokes such as pi r square, no pi are round.
  3. Figure 8 (infinity symbol). This has sentimental value to me. At the beginning of our relationship when Erik and I would drive somewhere separately, we would always sign the infinity symbol in the rearview mirror. The infinity symbol to us meant everlasting love.
  4. Annulus. This is a circle within a circle and is thus a donut shape. The area for this is equal to pi*(R^2-r^2). I just like donuts.
  5. Square. I always felt in life that "it's hip to be square". And have always loved the Heuy Lewis Song - it's pretty much the story of my life.
  6. Isosceles trapezoid. This shape has two equal length sides and has a nice line of symmetry down the middle. Also, who doesn't like the name trapezoid.
  7. Octagon. A stop sign is in the shape of an octagon so this is a shape we see all the time. It's bright and red and in your face.
  8. Ellipse. This is a circle that has been stepped on. Another name for an ellipse is an oval and I think it is a perfectly good name for an ellipse. When Jenna identified an ellipse as an oval in preschool, her teacher marked her wrong (ellipse = oval in the mind of a 4 year old).
  9. Isosceles triangle. This triangle has two equal sides. While not nearly as cool as the right triangle, it has a line of symmetry like the isosceles trapezoid, so it's pretty cool in my book.
  10. Triquetra. What is this shape you might wonder? The triquetra is a shape that can be best described as a glorified triangle. Check out the link. It was used as an early Christian symbol to represent the Trinity. It is also used in Celtic art quite a bit. I think it is pretty.

Well here is my list of favorite shapes. You can now rest easy that you know this.

In other news:

  • I have started a new semester in which I'll be teaching Mon, Thurs, Fri. Who wants to take classes on a Friday night?
  • In an attempt to be completely confusing, we've decided to join Lifetime again. I really miss playing squash with Erik. So what if it's a hundred dollars a month (ouch!)
  • I'm reading a new book by David Baldacci called The Winner. My Mom reads his novels and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.
  • We are planning an Iron Chef competition soon so you can be on the edge of your seat waiting for it.
  • Got 77 on Quiddler today. Not a very good score. I really think "denny" is a word.

2 comments:

Joel said...

I have never considered my favorite shapes. I haven no idea what would be on it. I'm pretty sure this post takes you to new levels of dorkdom not previously attained by any members of the human race.

Anonymous said...

concur with Joel on this one, sorry G.

~Mimmy (aka Missy)