Tuesday, February 16, 2010

More snow, are you kidding me?

We have had to cancel our small group two weeks in a row due to snow. When I look outside all I see is snow. We are going to have a serious case of cabin fever come spring. Next week we are serving dinner at the Ronald McDonald house for our small group and I really hope we don't have to cancel!

Today is Fat Tuesday and tomorrow starts Lent. Trying to explain Lent to a 5 and 2 year old can be pretty tricky. It can also be tricky to a 34 year old.

This year God has hit me over the head. Last week God opened my eyes to a sin in my life that I have pretty much ignored.

Gluttony. "Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat,
for drunkards and gluttons become poor,and drowsiness clothes them in rags." ~Prov 23:20-21. Gluttony is listed together with alcoholism.

I ask myself - do I actually eat respectful portions of healthy food with a thankful heart towards God?

Ummm... no. I overeat - especially sweets. And now I've been hit with gestational diabetes...again. Instead of thinking, "this will give me an opportunity to focus on healthy foods for me and my growing baby." I grumble and complain. IT'S JUST SWEETS!

So for Lent this year I'm planning on giving up non-drink sweets. So I can drink mocha and hot chocolate but no sweet foods (except for Sundays which are not actually part of Lent ).

This will actually be more difficult than giving up chocolate since when I did give up chocolate I would still eat strawberry ice cream :).

I finally finished This Alien Shore by C.S. Friedman. LOVED IT! I highly recommend this book to any sci-fi fans :).

87 points on Quiddler today. And "cloze" is a word. Who knew?

1 comment:

Linnea said...

When I was in 8th grade I gave up sugar for lent--anything that had sugar-even bread! I think I lost 20pounds. I also found giving up all forms of refined sugar helped me control my gestational diabetes immensely--that and lots of water aerobics. --Linnea