Saturday, March 09, 2013

Game Mechanics

Erik was in Boston for his birthday so we celebrated when he got home. He wanted a key lime pie, grilled cheese on sourdough bread, and fried pickles with hot sauce. Yum! He wants another key lime pie for Pi day this Thursday. We'll see. I'm in the mood for chocolate (I guess I'm always in that mood). 
Happy Birthday Erik!
 Lately I've been a little obsessed with Greek Yogurt. I had to snap a picture when I realized one shelf of our refrigerator was taken up by Greek Yogurt. Erik and I both eat Greek yogurt every day with honey roasted peanuts and raisins. Yummy! I've also made smoothies with Greek Yogurt and added peanut butter, bananas, and frozen strawberries. It's divine!
(Greek Yogurt)^6
To celebrate Erik's birthday we had a board game night. It's very hard for me to make a list of my favorite board games. It's like choosing my favorite chocolate chip cookie or fantasy novel or episode of Firefly. It's just all good.

So I made a list of my favorite game mechanics. This was also difficult since many games fall into a few mechanics (as you will see from my list below). I know I left some out and probably didn't categorize everything exactly. I used some ideas from boardgamegeek. I listed the game mechanic along with some games that fall into the category.  Of course a lot depends on my mood. Maybe my list will be different tomorrow!


  1. Worker Placement - Agricola, Lords of Waterdeep, Stone Age, Caylus, Le Havre
  2. Route/Network building - Ticket To Ride, Railroad Tycoon, Settlers of Catan, Transamerica, Thurn and Taxis
  3. Hand/Resource Management - Agricola, SanJuan, Goa, Race for the Galaxy, Acquire, El Grande
  4. Cooperative games - Pandemic, Shadows over Camelot, Battlestar Galactica, Sentinels of the Multiverse
  5. Auction/Bidding - Goa, PowerGrid, Ra, Amun Re, Aladdins Dragons, Tikal
  6. Role Selection - Puerto Rico, Navegador, Citadels
  7. Tile Placing - Carcassone, Princes of Florence, Castles of Burgundy, Acquire
  8. Pattern matching/Deduction - Set, Clue, Sleuth
  9. Word games - Scattergories, Boggle, Quiddler
  10. Party/Family - Taboo, Scattergories, Apples to Apples, Balderdash
  11. Card games - Rook, Euchre, Pinochle, Magic the Gathering
  12. Set collection - Lost cities, 7 Wonders, Bohnanza
85 points on Quiddler today. I like quiddler - it's #9!

5 comments:

Tim Mast said...

I think that there is a mistake in your list. You have 'Set' listed under the category 'Pattern matching/Deduction'. I think that it properly should be placed under the 'Terribly awful brain ripping concentration' as the mechanic. Or perhaps the mechanic would better be summed up as 'Lack of fun'.

Also, based on the number of times you request it, I think that Set should be at the front of your list. Fortunately, you have a space since everyone knows that lists start at 0.

0. Lack of fun - Set

FTFY

Gina Cooper said...

You are right Tim. 50% of the enjoyment of games is actually playing it and the other 50% is irritating you. In that case, set is much, much higher.

DVK said...

35 points for Firefly
35 points for keylime pie
-20 points for give no pie to me.

Gina Cooper said...

Here Dan I copied some pi for you: 3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097
4944592307816406286208998628034825342117067

DVK said...

I guess that will have to do...