Saturday, December 30, 2006

Iron Chef Tomato!


Thursday Amanda came to visit us and stayed until Friday (yesterday). She agreed to be a judge in our Iron Chef contest. Erik went to the store and brought home: TOMATOS!

I had one hour to create as many dishes as I could. It took me half an hour just to think of a dessert with tomatos but not only did I pull it off, Erik said he would have given me extra points for originality because he thought it was so original! We had a fun time and Amanda liked it too!! I made:
  1. Tomato and carrot salad with balsamic vinegrette dressing
  2. Tomato, mozarella, parmesan, pepperoni and basil mini wraps
  3. Beef quesadillas with tomato and tomatillo salsa
  4. Crab, cream cheese and dill stuffed tomatos
  5. Tomato, grape, craisin, and honey sweet rice

Erik and Amanda rated the Tomato wraps very high. They were really good and Amanda gave taste a full 10 points (the highest!). Prior to tasting, I thought the crab, cream cheese and dill stuffed tomatos would be my piece de resistance however the dill flavor was not strong enough. They were very good though. Fresh dill would have made all the difference. The tomato sweet rice was a big success as well. I put grape tomatos, grapes, craisins, and walnuts in rice. Then I mixed cream cheese and honey to make a sweet dressing. It was actually a good, sweet dessert with tomatos. We all noted that the sweet dressing brought out a sweetness in the tomatos that you don't normally taste. Erik's rating: 15.4, Gina's rating: 16.2, Amanda's rating: 15.8

Amanda and Jenna made bread. I've included a picture. Jenna likes cooking with Amanda as much as Mommy! The bread was excellent and we had a fun - food filled time :).

Today I got 65 on Quiddler and the max is 63 so not that great. I didn't know SUQ was a word!

No comments: