Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Iron Chef: Sugar!



Sugar and spice and everything nice! That's what this Iron Chef was.


It's been a long time but we finally did Iron Chef again. I was so happy and Erik was so happy that I finally stopped bugging him to do it. I just love iron chef!


Anyway - SUGAR! Wow - can it get ANY better??? That was my secret ingredient. YUM!


I made 5 dishes



  1. Sweet Sushi - ever since we made sushi over New Years when everyone was here, I've been a little obsessed with sushi. In fact, Erik made taco sushi the other day (no joke). Anyway, I made sweet sushi with extra sugar, cream cheese, and chocolate ships all wrapped in seaweed. It actually worked.

  2. Cinnamon baked alaska - I made a sugar cookie base and topped it with cinnamon meringue. Yum! This dish was good but it needed some caramel or something else. I've also been obsessed with baked alaska. I made it for Tim and Jen a few months ago with a brownie base, but it was not successful since the brownies were way too hard. Maybe a sugar cookie base would be better.

  3. Sweet pasta salad - this was Erik's favorite dish. I made pasta with a browned butter sauce then mixed in berries and citrus (including grapefruit which I do not like, but I added it to balance the overwhelming sweetness). This dish worked very well.

  4. French silk creme brulee - I've made creme brulee many times. I'm not sure why I decided that in a rushed hour I was going to make creme brulee. I know you have to let it sit in the refrigerator for at least 8 hrs to set up. We do not have a blast chiller (I should put it on my wish list!) so unfortunately my creme brulee did not set up. However the flavor in this was excellent! It was better than my recipe for chocolate creme brulee however since I heavily modified the recipe for this iron chef I'll probably never be able to duplicate it!
  5. Blackberry lime tart - ooooh yea! This was great! I made a sugar cookie base topped with a lime flavored cream cheese layer with freshly grated lime peel and topped that with fresh blackberries. The blackberry lime combination was so good! I'll have to remember it. I gave this dish a 9 for taste!

Overall this was a really fun iron chef even though I did have trouble with a main dish (yes I did make pasta). Erik and I rated the dishes the same at 15.2. This is a pretty average rating (apples were the highest rated iron chef and prego sauce the lowest basically due to the prego salmon - yuck!).

81 points on Quiddler today!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I was just thinking of you guys last night. I wondered if you'd done any Iron Chefs recently. Cool!! You're so much braver and smarter than me in the kitchen. Fun!