Thursday, May 19, 2011

Why Dinner is late

I'm making pasta for dinner but need a pan so I'll empty the dishwasher.  Emptying the dishwasher.  No Matthew put the plate back in, stop playing in the water. PUT DOWN THE KNIFE!

Finally get a pan and the water started boiling. 

Sarah walks in. "Mommy can I have a snack?"  No we are eating dinner soon.  "AAAH".

Jenna walks in.  Must don my Armor of Constant Questions.
Mommy have you tried laffy taffy? Yes
How old were you when you tried laffy taffy? I have no idea
Were you 7 years old when you tried laffy taffy? Possibly.
Why does Aunt Missy have great teeth? She probably flosses and brushes a lot
What did people do before toothpaste and floss were invented? Maybe had bad teeth?
Can I pray for good teeth? Sure
What is a number that rhymes with 8 but is not 8? 38
Can I paint?  No we are going to eat soon.

*sigh*

Water is not boiling yet. 

I hear screaming in the background.  "MOMMY Change my diaper!".  Sarah you are potty trained....oh no.... Did you have an accident?

Clean up Sarah's accident.  Water is boiling over.  Add pasta to the pan. 

"Mommy Matthew is up the stairs!"  I run up the stairs and there is dirt everywhere.  Matthew is smiling his most mischevious smile as he plays in the dirt from the plant.  Pick up Matthew and remember to close the gate.

Get dustbuster and clean up the dirt that is now all over the carpet and stairs.

Jenna walks in again
Mommy did you know that Daddy had a mane coon cat? Yes we think Rocky was a mane coon cat too.
Was his fur waterproof? I don't know do mane coon cats have waterproof fur?
Sarah chimes in: "My fur is waterproof" Sarah you don't have fur.
"Yes my clothes are fur"
Jenna: When she takes off her clothes she is an ugly cat.  Sarah is not an ugly cat.  Ugly cats have no fur and some people are allergic to cat fur so these cats make nice pets for those people.
Are some people not allergic to anything? Yes.  I think the pasta is done - let's go see.

Pasta is all stuck together because I didn't stir it enough. 

Sarah: "I don't like pasta.  I don't want pasta for dinner"  You like pasta.

Who wants red sauce and who wants butter on their noodles?

"Butter!!"  *sigh*

I remember I have 3 kids. Where is Matthew?  Sarah: "No Matthew NO!  Matthew is eating my polly pockets".

Is it in his mouth? Did he swallow it?  No - fine.  Let's get dinner on the table.

Who is going to put the napkins on the table and who is going to put the forks?

Jenna: I want to put napkins on the table.  Sarah: "I want to put napkins on the table".

An argument ensues.  We must divide the duties so that Jenna puts two forks and two napkins on the table and Sarah puts two forks and two napkins on the table.

Finally the pasta is done and the sauce/butter is on it and we are ready to eat.  Girls go call Daddy to dinner!  Sticky pasta that is late - yum yum!

2 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh man!!! That makes me exhausted just reading it! I hope your next few days after that were/are better! I'm making chicken spaghetti tonight for a friend who just had a baby, so I doubled it. YIPPEE FOR ME!!! (wish I could FedEx it up to you)

Cheryl said...

Sounds like some of the days I've had in the past!!! This too shall pass. :)

Hopefully you had a great dinner or pasta, loved regardless of the stickiness.

Can't wait to see you soon.
love Mom