Friday, December 19, 2008

Gift Dilemma

Christmas is a time of giving and I've learned after 11 years of marriage that my husband likes giving, especially expensive gifts. So I'm wondering, do you tell your significant other if he/she bought you something that cost a lot of money that you don't really want? Do you take it back knowing that your significant other loves to give expensive gifts?

Many birthdays and Christmases Erik will buy the best item, when I ask for something. For example, I asked for a jewelry box last year and he bought a $170 Amish made jewelry box. It was awesome but I would have been perfectly happy with a $30 jewelry box from Meijer. My bread machine cost $200 but the $40 bread machine was fine with me. So this year I asked for long underwear assuming he would go to Meijer and buy the $13 pair of long underwear I saw. Not at all. Erik bought silk long underwear for $100.
Now I'm stuck. Do I tell him that I don't want $100 long underwear and risk hurting his feelings or do I graciously accept the gift from him. It is really nice. Erik likes to give nice gifts to me. I can ask this question because he doesn't read the blog *smile*.

In other news, for our church's Christmas party I made a trifle (Jenna is holding it). I colored whip cream red and green and thought it looked pretty. The layers are brownie, pudding, and whip cream. Yum.

Another picture I've uploaded is Sarah in the bathroom. This is the reason I need lasik. I went upstairs to put my contacts in and was probably gone for 90 seconds. When I got back down the bathroom looked like this. Sarah discovered that toilet paper is fun to play with and the books should be strewn all about. If I would have had lasik this never would have happened :).

I got 44 on Quiddler today and lost the Q and J. That was terrible!

4 comments:

Yarnin_Mama said...

I think that this is tough because if you upset him, then he may just go in the direct opposite and not buy you anything or he could just get his feelings hurt for a long time. Either one isn't a good option. Nate also tends to buy me things a lot nicer than I would buy myself. Sometimes I get really specific on my gift lists, and sometimes if I want an inexpensive item, I just buy it for myself. I'm not sure what you should do now, but you might want to be more careful on what you put on the gift list. Also, you could just wear the silk underwear, and enjoy being literally wrapped in Erik's love.

Anonymous said...

Gina, I would just wear and enjoy the silk long underwear. It will be very warm I'm sure. I have some silk undershirts that I wear all winter.
I wouldn't exchange the gift or tell Erik since he has already bought it. How do you know? Its not Christmas yet. :)
Next time tell him a specific item if you don't want a more expensive one.
Look up www.wintersilk.com on the web for more ideas of silk underwear and other clothing. :)
love, Mom

Anonymous said...

G,

As far as I know, Erik is a reasonable man (hee hee) and just wants to buy the most wonderful gift he can find for his amazing wifey. If it really bothers you, I am sure he would understand.

Perhaps you can find a compromise in the future, where he buys you a gift in a price range between "Cheapy McCheaperson" and "Only Bill Gates can afford" and the rest of the money he would have spent goes to a charity you both care deeply about (like Pro-life)?

That way, you get more than the the gift you want; you both have done something wonderful to help others!

~Anonymously Missy (oh shoot...)

Gina Cooper said...

Thank you all for your comments. Ii think from now on I'll have to be more specific on the gifts I want. :)