Monday, December 29, 2008

Salty Caramels

Starbucks has influenced my new obsession with a salty caramel flavor from their salty caramel signature hot chocolate. I wanted to take the salty sweet flavor combination and make something different. I tried two types of baked goods and some caramels.
First I made a chocolate cookie crust and melted some caramels on top then sprinkled it with sea salt. The flavor was good but the chocolate layer was not chocolatey enough and did not work well with the chewy caramel layer (this is the last picture). To improve, I made a homemade brownie like layer then made homemade caramel sauce (using heavy cream obviously) and poured that on top. Finally I topped it with sea salt. These bars were much better however the caramel sauce was a little too liquidy. I'm still working on the bars. Finally, I put some of the homemade caramel into ice cube trays then dipped them in melted chocolate and sprinkled sea salt on them. These caramels were delicious.
Last night was also a success in that I got to the remote before Erik and thus was able to watch the Sound of Music rather than football. Yea! Erik ended up painting the bathroom rather than watching the Sound of Music.
I got 62 on Quiddler today even though I made the word "routing". That was a pretty awesome word!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job, Gina. I can't wait to try some of your caramels - maybe one at least wouldn't hurt me with the sodium too much. :)

We had a great time this week, and last week too. I have put some things away and cleaned up the living room, but miss you all - I'd rather have the mess your 2 girls make!!! :)
Love to you all, Mom

Anonymous said...

Gina, your caramels sound delicious. I'll have to try one sometime.
We had a wonderful time with you all here. I have cleaned up and put the living room back in place. :) Hawever, I miss you all and would rather have the mess your girls make.
love, Mom

Anonymous said...

Are these comments from separate Moms? How can you tell the difference? Is it 2 posts from 1 mom or 2 posts from 2 moms?

aaaaahhhhh!
~confused Missy

Joel said...

I would assume Anonymous Mom #1 is Mom Cooper, and Anonymous Mom #2 is Mom Monter, but who knows. :)

~confused Joel

On a side note, I would also rather paint the bathroom than watch the Sound of Music.