Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Port: A physical interface between a computer and a peripheral device

As I was sitting by the fire on our camping trip, rather than reflecting on the beautiful night or reclining in a prayerful repose, I came up with a new top ten list! Yipee! Just what you wanted to hear!
This top ten list will be sure to interest anyone who has the bad luck to stumble upon it.
I've made a list of my top ten favorite computer ports.

  1. Ultra Wide SCSI - yes! Who wouldn't pick this one as number one! At my old job I had an external hard drive that connected with a 1 nanometer cable (not really that short it just seemed like it) to an ultra wide scsi port on my SGI. Awesome stuff.
  2. USB - I know this would be most people's favorite port (those people who are actually cool enough to create a list of their favorite ports!). This port is so versatile - I think I might even use it to do my laundry. It can do almost anything! Throw out your floppies and zip drives - USB drives are way better!
  3. Firewire - I'm just picking this one because of the name. I've never used firewire, but if I was a port I'd want to be called firewire. Sometimes it's all in the name. For example, I was talking to Erik about Megan Fox. I said that I think everyone thinks she is so pretty because her last name is Fox. Ummm.... yea. I think those are Erik's exact words but his facial expressions told me that sometimes it is not just the name.
  4. Ethernet port - This port deserves high recognition. It connects computers together so they can pass data and information (school teacher definition mode). In my computer communications course in grad school we never called it an ethernet cable or a cat-5 cable, always twisted pair wire. I guess I also call adhesive bandages, band-aids. I'm a little crazy like that.
  5. DVI - This port just looks cool with its neat set of pins. When we got our first monitor with DVI I thought there was something wrong with it, like some of the pins got eaten. Half eaten ports are always tops in my book.
  6. PS/2 - When hooking up my computer in college, I loved the color coded PS/2 ports for my mouse and keyboard. They are also somewhat round and round ports have really gotten the shaft! lately.
  7. Video port - Since I connect my laptop to an LCD projector for my lectures, I just have to love the video port. It's nice to be able to project my screen so everyone in the class can see, even when I forget to turn off my outlook updates. Fabulous!
  8. Parallel port - I liked being able to attach my printer to my parallel port. Again it has a lot of pins which makes it more attractive than the serial port. And serial ports always make me think of lucky charms.
  9. Midi port - This is a musical port that allows computers, synthesizers, and keyboards to communicate. How cool that the computer likes music too! Maybe I can get it hooked on my contemporary Christian station.
  10. Serial port - I mentioned earlier that I like parallel ports better than serial ports but it doesn't mean I don't like serial ports! My mouse used to connect with a serial port before the much more awesome PS/2 port.

Well that's my list. I didn't think through all of the possiblities of ports and Erik wouldn't let me put coaxial cable on there (even though that is a totally rockin' port) because he said it didn't count as a computer port. I wonder if there are others that might blur the lines...

75 points on quiddler today and herm is a word!

5 comments:

Joel said...

I had previously thought that your favorite shapes list was your dorkiest list. I have now been corrected. :)

Gina Cooper said...

Joel - you should never underestimate me!

Joel said...

Oh I know. :)

Have you done a top ten list of your favorite programming languages?

Anonymous said...

I do not understand any of this. Where are the pictures of the girls? Nan

Anonymous said...

Nan, you are so funny :-)

~Mimmie